Either way, I was really nervous the night before the race and barely slept at all. Race morning greeted us with sunshine and calm winds and a predicted high temp in the high 80s. I wasn't worried about the temps, since it's been scorching up to triple digits all summer in Boulder. It was a non- wetsuit swim for pros and a run in start. Now, I haven't been practicing my run in starts much (or ever) so naturally I was a bit timid. Mistake number one. I immediately lost most everyone around me and swam the entire course (which was a tad long as well) alone. How this is possible every time, is truly somewhat perplexing to me. There were plenty of women my speed, yet I managed to lead a small pack of three spread out behind me, around the entire course, feeling a little helpless in my swim abilities along the way.
I exited the water and ran -what seemed like a mile long transition on grass- to my bike, got bike stuff on and was out of there. The bike course is said to be the most challenging in the REV3 series, and right off the bat, there were some nice rollers to battle. I found my cycling legs shortly after the first climb and started picking up some other riders who were ahead of me. On courses like these, I think training at altitude and in the mountains really helps. Although I felt every climb, I recovered fast and was ready to tackle the next one. The well marked sketchy descents were actually no problem at all, having me laugh at myself for literally losing sleep over it the night before. Before I knew it , I had traversed the forest and the hills and was back on the flats on the way to transition, with the last 15mi or so flat. Here I got a good look at where my competition was and also made a costly error that would haunt me later. With the heat of the day about to start, and my bottles nearing empty, I reached over at the last available aid station and tried to grab some liquids but was unable to get anything. In hindsight I should have stopped and asked volunteers to rehand me something, but I kept going, because I was racing and the adrenaline was flowing. With 10 or more miles to go and no more available fluid, I could feel my body ache for something to drink. After some positive self talk, I convinced myself that I would be fine and could drink lots on the run. I entered T2 in 8th or 9th place, well in the money and ready to run down some more people. Or so I thought.
The run started out over somewhat rolling terrain on a path in the shade. Although I felt thirsty, I felt strong. I knew fast runners were behind me, so I kept an eye on my pace, sure not to let anyone I could see in front of me, get away. Aid stations were every 1.5mi or so, and I took all I could at each one, without having to slow down too much or give up too much time. After the brief out and back in the shade, we now shared a shoulder on the highway with return run traffic, making things a little tight. This is also where the heat started to really pick up, as there was zero shade and temps seemed much higher than they were, with the humidity. After an ironic pee detour at the port potties, I had given up a spot, but was confident I could run back up to my previous place in the race. But then the wheels started to come off. Goose bumps, cramps in my feet, nausea. I was reduced to a walk, passed again, and my confidence in my race was dwindling. Although I was taking salt, the dehydration was too great and the few sips of water and coke weren't going to do the trick. After what seemed like a death march on the Queen K, I staggered into the finish, unable to hold off 10th place just a few seconds from the end, and ended up in 11th. I then gulped down 2 water bottles right away, something I have never seen myself do at the end of a race. Yea, Engine overheated. Should have stopped and returned to get the fluids at the last bike aid station.
![]() |
| Need more fluids... |

No comments:
Post a Comment