For the 4th time, I made the trip to Boise with my parents for our annual "family triathlon adventure". Year one was wet and presented thunder storms on the bike, year two was windy and hot, and last year was pretty much perfect. The forecast called for cooler temps so I was delighted to be able to run in that. As race day drew closer, the forecast kept changing to more and more moisture. Finally, it said there was a 70% chance of rain and highs would peak into the low 60s, but start out in the 40s. The race doesn't start until noon, which was a good thing, otherwise no one might have started at all since it was FRIGID.
We took the shuttle up to the swim start, where it began pouring buckets as soon as we exited the school buses. We stripped down (me about 5 layers) to get body marked and made our way into transition, where my bike was covered by the plastic bags I had draped over it, only they were sagging with rain puddles now. We had 2 hours to pass until race start and the temperature combined with the rain that was now coming at us horizontally, made it quite challenging to stay warm, especially since there was no shelter from it. (except porta potties, which yes, people did hide in) I credit myself for making the smartest packing decision in bringing my rain coat. It sure came in handy and kept my upper body mostly dry. I felt so bad for all those unprepared folks who were shivering in 1 or 2 cotton layers and flip flops.
About a half hour before the pro start, IM announced that the bike was shortened to 15mi due to the weather and the risk for hypothermia. Basically, we would ride a straight line back into town to T2. Surprisingly, they let the swim go on. The water temperature was a mere 57 deg and the air temp was 40. It was raining cats and dogs and it was windy. I couldn't feel my toes and I hadn't even gotten in the water yet. I was slightly worried.
![]() |
| So freakin cold. |
The run up the ramp was interesting. I thought I had left my feet in the water. I actually looked down to check, haha. They were there, but I couldn't feel them. I also wouldn't feel any of the little pebbles I was worried about stepping on while running to my bike. Once there I was prepared to take a little longer and make sure I put some clothes on. I only managed my Rudy Vest and Arm Coolers/ Warmers as my limbs were too frozen to function properly. My shoes had neoprene toe covers, but 5 min into the ride and some puddles later, they were soaked through and through, and my feet were blocks of ice. (Unfortunately I missed the memo on riding in your wetsuit, gotta give it to the guys, smart move! Although I wonder if it would have kept my toes any warmer?)
I made it to T2 before I could even take on any nutrition, feet still numb. I think I actually yelled at a volunteer that I couldn't feel my feet :) With the swim being regular length, and the bike so short, I was at a disadvantage right from the start. The bike is where I usually make up some time, but on this day, it was a short time trial between a swim and a run. I managed to get socks on and my shoes and even grabbed my salt (why I don't know, brain was frozen I think) and stumbled off. My thoughts were "the faster you run, the faster you'll warm up." I left my vest on, as well as my arm coolers, and actually never got hot enough to take them off, even though the sun came out and the temps warmed up into the low 60s at the finish.
The run is broken up into two loops with some out and backs. Coming off the bike I wasn't sure what place I was in, but once I started the run, I was able to see some of the other women at the various out and backs. I definitely had my work cut out for me. Giving up nearly 5 min on the swim to the leaders was hurting me big time now, even if I had a run as strong as them. An interesting phenomenom occurred early in the run when I stopped and actually took my shoe off because I thought I had something stuck in the front. Turns out it was just my frozen toes that made it feel like I had a gel jammed in there. How weird! On my second loop, I saw a bunch of age groupers do the same thing, I almost laughed.
![]() |
| Finish to a crazy day. |
As a side note- my mom won her age group and got her Vegas slot at Boise. Perhaps I need to pick up the slack and get myself there to join her?!
Now it's on to the second half of the season. With summer being just two days old, it's already been close to 100 deg (40 deg C) here a few times and we are not stopping for the next week or so. Training has resumed and early morning sessions are key to me in his heat. Losing too many electrolytes makes recovery take longer and who needs that when you are training for an IM?! Next up is REV3 Portland, followed by Lake Stevens 70.3 (another family adventure).
Thanks to my supporters- Rudy Project, RockTape, Powerbar and Trigger Point.
Stay tuned.


No comments:
Post a Comment