Friday, August 7, 2009

Time To Race Again

This weekend racing resumes with the 5430 half in Boulder. In the past few days the women's roster has become the most impressive out of any races I have entered so far this year. Take a look:

BAKER KAT CANBERRA AC 22 F
BASSO ANNE RALEIGH NC 26 F
BROMME ULI BOULDER CO 28 F
DAVISON BROOKE BOULDER CO 38 F
DIBENS JULIE BOULDER CO 34 F
Hummel Molly Durango CO 25 F
JARRETT KELLY BOULDER CO 30 F
MELLIAR-SMITH KAREN DENVER CO 35 F
O'HARA ERIN BOULDER CO 26 F
PETRELLA JOCELIN DENVER CO 30 F
SMITH CAROLINE MANDEVILLE CA 38 F
STEVENS AMANDA COLORADO SPRINGS CO 32 F
Sweigert Erika Victor ID 17 F
THELEN TRACY Colorado Springs CO 30 F
WELLINGTON CHRISSIE BOUDLER CO 32 F
WILLIAMS SUSAN LITTLETON CO 40 F
WITINOK-HUBER REBECCA BOULDER CO 25 F
ZEIGER JOANNE BOULDER CO 39 F

(and I'm sure it doesn't include a few last minute entries) Last year I think there were 8 Elites or so and I finished top 10 overall as an age grouper mixed in with the pros. Um, can we say that this race is pretty much close to a world championship this year? Should be a good time!

I have also been battling a bad tooth all week, so far unsuccessfully fighting an infection with antibiotics which just seem to make me lethargic and dehydrated but aren't curbing the infection. It's pretty painful and I will probably need a big procedure done in the future. The dentist actually suggested I start another antibiotic which is so strong that I will have to stay away from any and all products containing alcohol (not that I drink) including mouthwash and even deodorants that include alcohol. If I am not careful I could get violently ill. (apparently this product is used on recovering alcoholics...) I think I'll wait to use that until after the race...In the meantime I am hoping that the current drugs will kick in and do their magic sooner than later. I don't like racing with that stuff in my system at all.

Overall I am ready for the race. I am doing a very good job of tapering, including eating ice cream and reducing my workouts by alot. I have been doing some big volume lately and want to make sure it pays off in time for the race. No need to race tired, especially not with a field like Sunday's! On that note, off to swim easy for 30 mins and then get into full-on race mode.

1 comment:

Amy said...

GOOD LUCK SUNDAY! I'll be picking up KK from the airport, or else I'd be up there watching. You're going to do great.

(Side note: sorry about your tooth ache, that sounds absolutely awful)