Friday, June 5, 2009

Week in Review

Being that it is two weeks almost since my last post, I thought I'd let all my loyal readers (hi mom!) know that I am still here. I've made the switch to long course training over the past few weeks and the increased mileage has left me a tad bit more tired and less excited about blogging. But I am going to try and be at least a once a week regular from here on!

The box of goods
Yay, shoes!

This week has been full of surprises here. I received a whole buncha goodies from KSwiss (thanks Ben!) including more shoes to run fast in(!), some awesome new running shorts that are just a perfect fit, not to mention sooo soft; some tops (very comfy as well because they are strrrretchy and super ventilated- bring it on summer heat!) and not to forget a super stylin' casual two-piece that I am modeling J-Lo style in this photo :-) And no, I don't usually wear these sunglasses, although after looking at the photo, maybe I should!?

Another surprise came about midweek, well it wasn't really a surprise, I've been slowly following its trail but never thinking much of it- my hot water heater seems to perhaps be on its last legs. Lets cross our fingers it isn't, but as far as I know it has not been replaced since the building was made 10 years ago, and it would just make sense for it to break down right now, with me as its owner! Anyways, the hot stream of water that kept flowing out a drain into a common area outside must have freaked out several of my neighbors as I came home one night to notes on my door and phone messages telling me to check on my water heater.
"The puddle"

After realizing the water would leak out the drain whenever I did a load of laundry or took a shower at home (which happens about once a week, I shower at FAC most of the time) I finally called the plumber today and got an estimate for what might need to be fixed. Option A is not so bad, should it just be the relief valve that's causing the leak. $175 for parts and labor. However I was warned that this might not be the problem and that it might actually be time for a new water heater. $1500 parts and labor. Ummmmm, WHAT? So yeah, for now I think I'll go and see what happens with option A, like I said, fingers crossed. I don't really want to have to sell my bike to be able to afford a new water heater! The joys of home ownership!

The weather here has been a little less than desirable if I might say so myself. I have been trying real hard to suck it up, but when it's June and raining and gray all the time, it becomes a little hard for spoiled Boulder residents like me. After what seemed like 2 weeks of cloudiness we finally got some sunshine late this week but have entered our next weather pattern of guaranteed afternoon thunderstorms between 2 and 6. Tonight as I drove to masters I could see a band of lightening by the flatirons, but hoped that they would be far enough away so that I wouldn't see them once at the pool. (it's a year round outdoor pool and doesn't close for anything... well except negative temps) Anyways, as I got out of my car at the gym I could hear thunder and see a huge monster cloud looming over the pool (where thunderstorms usually hang out) and sure enough when I headed out on the pool deck I was greeted by more lightening. Now, I am usually not a wuss when it comes to training in different conditions, but lightening is where I draw the line, ESPECIALLY when it involves swimming. As sad as it sounds, I waited out on the pool deck with about 5 others to see if it would let up, which it didn't. In the meantime the crazier individuals proceeded into the water, and we were left standing outside getting ridiculed by Wolfgang (in whose mind you are a complete "Vimp" if you don't swim in lightening) Needless to say my swim never happened. Ofcourse those who did swim, were just fine...

It's almost taper time anyways, and a swim missed now won't make a difference, or will it? I perused some old swimming results today and could not believe my eyes when I saw this:
I was once actually a studette of sorts, even in Free, my least favorite stroke! For those who don't read German, the certificate reads that at age 12 (!) yours truly swam a 1:19 100m Free! Woa, there is NO way I could do that now without paddles, crazy! For some reason I think when we are kids our lungs are much bigger in relation to the rest of our bodies, and that's why I could also swim a 50 under water no problem! I wish I could get that fast again someday, ha.

Last but not least, it is slowly getting warmer out even with the recent monsoons, and with it comes- you guessed it- my unusual cravings of various condiments and unhealthy drinks (lately I've had a real liking for Ketchup) so I will leave you with this image: Absolute Bliss following a near bonk town ride:

2 comments:

Caroline said...

Does the pool not have someone there that stops ppl from going in when there is lightening? That's pure craziness! But we've had similiar crazy weather here. Little sun, crazy clouds, thunder/lightening, and even hail! June Gloom go away and bring us the sun we love so dearly ;)
Nice new kicks! Enjoy your new gear! Yay for KSwiss!
Happy training to you. Enjoy going long again!!

KK said...

Great updates, congrats on all the free stuff. Free stuff totally rules. Also, I will go ahead and comiserate with you about this crap people call "weather." I have officially had it. But at least yesterday was nice.

Glad you got your water heater issues sorted out!