Elite men and women were to go off first, followed by men 34 and under 2 mins later. (Brandon's wave, I held him off until the bike...whew) The gun went off and people started running like they were doing a mile on the track. I started laughing inside at the insane pace that was being set, but then realized that if I didn't want to get thrown off the back, I'd better hang on for dear life. As is always the case with the pro start consisting of men and women, we all went out at the men's pace, which happened to be 4.30 pace. After about 1/2 mile things were finally stringing out and the women had formed their own pace line with a newcomer gazelle-like runner up front, Jocelyn a few seconds behind, then me another couple seconds back and then the rest of the women. I went through the first mile in 5.30, the two girls ahead of me, in who knows what. I'm not going to lie, that first run hurt like a mother, I had stars flashing in front of my eyes a few times,and my mind starting to separate from my body in order to ignore the pain. We finally reached transition, I was about 30 secs faster than last year at this point.
Heading out in third position,I was looking forward to the bike today especially because I was using race wheels for the first time ever! I definitely have changed my mind about racing technology and will never write it off again! I could tell those wheels made a difference, and I can't believe I have been racing on my heavy training wheels this WHOLE time! I ended up only a minute faster than last year on the bike leg but like to think the winds were a little tougher this time around, as I still somehow managed the fastest overall bike split. I passed the run leader just a few miles in and then worked up towards the leader and we played cat and mouse for a bit before I pulled ahead into T2 first.
I wasn't sure my legs still wanted to go, but once I put my running shoes back on, they felt completely fine and I was off for the second 5k. Fighting the ol' pain threshold one more time I crossed the line first and immediately began to dry heave, something that has not happened to me before. I was greeted at the finish by Brandon , who in his first multisport race ever, had already been waiting there for me for about 6 minutes... I am very proud of him, he had the third fastest overall bike split incl. pros, and was the fastest amateur of the day! I would say someone has a bright racing future ahead! Congrats to everyone who raced today and major props as well to Brandon's fellow Fleet Feet team members (and neighbor/blogworld buddy) KK and (lane mates) Kevin and Oier, who did amazing! Both had podium finishes and flew along the course! I went 2 mins faster than last year, and could possibly have set a course record but will need to check on that with the RD to confirm. I'm pretty sure the men's winner set one, he completed the 5k/18mi/5k in one hour and eleven minutes! At altitude! CRAZY!
After the race we stopped at Littleton Cyclery to pick up a few things for my bike, including a super-sweet new Tri saddle, some nutrition from Hammer, and a special gift- a Giro aero helmet! As if this wasn't overwhelming enough, I came home to two more packages waiting at my door from K-Swiss. Yay for presents! I felt like a kid on xmas morning! If you are ever in the area, please check out the bike shop in Littleton. They have an amazing display of products and a super nice staff! I can't wait to try out the new kicks. Hopefully I'll be racing in them next weekend at Columbia, along with the new helmet if I figure out how to put it on without cutting my ears off, haha!
Now off to rest my throbbing legs. 7 days to go until I race again!
2 comments:
Congrats on the win! KK told me all about it, but it was just as exciting to read. We even stopped by your place Saturday night to congratulate you (but maybe you were resting). Yay for new presents too! Sounds like a perfect weekend.
Congrats on your victory, Uli, that is awesome, esp the prospect of a course record!
Thanks for the shout out, too.
It was a fun day, except for those winds!
And congrats to brandon-awesome.
Post a Comment