I hate taking off pedals, they are such a pain and are always the hardest part of taking my bike apart. Well, today I was determined to get them off myself. I had the tool and the patience in case it would take a while. First pedal came off no problem, and whilst giving myself an imaginary pat on the back for job well done, I moved on to the other side of the crankset, which would prove to be a tad more difficult as I didn't have the same leverage. I don't really know what I did, but next thing I know I slipped with the wrench I was using and full-on jammed my poor, poor right pinky into one of the teeth of my chainring. It didn't hurt all that bad, but as I went to take a look I could see blood GUSHING from my finger onto the floor.
Now, there are a few things that I don't like, such as flying, heights, and open wounds bleeding. I took a few steps over to the kitchen sink and saw the blood running out of my hand like a bad nose bleed. Not knowing quite what to do, I just yelled OMG over and over again, and thoughts of bleeding to death rushed through my head. (lol, not really, but it crossed my mind) Finally common sense set in and I managed to grab some paper towels and squeezed it around my finger, all the while trying to reach Brandon, who was already at work. I had to ring him 4x before he picked up (:-)) but being the good bf that he is, he left work and rushed to Safeway to pick up some first aid things for me to fix my finger up. He came home to me sitting on the couch slightly nauseous. My cut was quite deep ( I think it hit the bone, ewww) and was now becoming painful. We cleaned it out with soap and then applied some special bandaids to keep the gash somewhat closed. At that point, the bleeding had finally subsided and besides being nauseated and thankful I wouldn't need stitches, I was thinking about when I would ride... B took my other pedal off, which I apparently had loosened up enough with my pinky to come off easy, and put them on the roadbike. So much for me ever trying to take my own pedals off again.. or become a bike mechanic for that matter, jeeze... I now have a slightly swollen and stiff finger that is still oozing a bit. It also has a nice black color to it, courtesy of the chain grease I couldn't get out with the soap. Swimming tomorrow should do a good job of disinfecting it though. I am hoping I got my "bad luck" with the new ride out of the way now.

I would also like to announce that I am now a K-Swiss athlete, which is very exciting on many levels. One- I am no longer running on worn -out soles, that are basically the cushioning part of the shoe, two- I think K-Swiss is onto something with their new running footwear and my feet are super happy in their kicks, and three- They are up and coming in the triathlon world and I couldn't be more excited to be a part of it. And four- running happens to be my favorite sport out of the three and so it's a given my shoes and I will always have a special bond!:-) So, if you haven't already, check out K-Swiss.com, and go to running to see all the tri-specific footwear and apparel.
Finally, here are some pics of last weekend's race. Notice the bare feet in the one bike pic, that was the FIRST time ever I did it in a race! And the water exit photo is interesting to say the least, no clue what the hands are doing...


3 comments:
yikes, that pinky injury sounds painful. Up here in Canada we have skin glue to glue deep cuts together and it is water proof:) Your local RX might have some??
Great race photos:) Curious how long it took you to get your feet in your shoes? Great race I hear (from one of the Colorado girls' blog). Way to go!!
Yowch. That cut sounds like a doozy. I can't tell you how many times I've done that myself. Those chainrings sure can bite!
Wowza. That cut seems brutal. Glad B was there to help out. Have a great weekend and let's definitely ride soon!!!!! I'm out of town this weekend but could the following one!
Post a Comment