
It's events like this that get me all fired up to start running seriously again, well, as in turning in some good splits in running races. This morning was the ING NYC Marathon and although I couldn't be there again this year, I followed the race online and had massive flashbacks from the years I ran the marathon. There is nothing like coming into Central Park with 3 miles to go and having people cheer for you 5 deep on each side of the road to the finish. Imagine Ali'i Drive, only 2.5mi longer. The race reminded me alot of the 2002 one, my first, as the weather looked crystal clear but crisp, as many runners wore arm warmers and gloves. I had my best marathon in that weather, and watching the race on my computer this morning sure had me wishing I was there.
Paula won in a convincing fashion and after her horrible and devastating run at the Olympics this past sumer, I was so happy for her. She deserved a good race! What's almost more impressive was third place Kara Goucher, a CU Grad, who was running her debut and she was only 9 secs behind second place. To think that only 4 years ago we were supposed to hook up for some runs while she was still living in Boulder, and she emailed me saying she was only up to 45 mins a day and wasn't sure if she could keep up with me. Ha, after Beijing and now this, I think she would dust me after her warmup.
I can't wait to feel faster again on my runs and in races. I want to dedicate part of this winter to becoming a speedier runner again. Triathlon kind of makes you forget what it's like to run on fresh legs and the thrills a fast pace brings. I want to go back to the days where 6:45pace for 26 miles felt easy and I know I can go faster than that. The tricky part will be steering clear of injuries as they like to creep up when I increase my speed sessions. It will be interesting to see what kind of fresh marathon I can produce after taking almost 4 years off from racing that distance. I now have sooo much more endurance from Ironman training, so being on my feet for 3 hours or less should be a breeze! Ofcourse the pain will be there, it will be different pain, but it will hurt nonetheless.
I will complement my running with trying to get my swim up to speed as well, so I can hold my own in the water next year. Then there is also the bike that needs some work, sweaty trainer sessions are on the agenda as well. Well, I have my work cut out for me. Happy off season training and enjoy the rest of fall!
1 comment:
Good post Uli! I can't believe you were supposed to run with Kara Goucher a few years ago. Crazy! You can say you knew her when. :)
Post a Comment