Thursday, October 30, 2008

Final Post-Kona Thoughts And Other Stuff

Well, it's almost been three weeks and I have definitely had enough time to reflect on my race and learn from it. Although I had a time goal in mind originally (which I missed by oh, almost an hour) I managed to throw it out the window and still stay in the game mentally and physically after visiting the devil in hell for a brief hour or so when I first started my run. So, even though it wasn't the race I had hoped for, I did accomplish to finish, not quit, not to surcome to the pain and suffering, and for that I am a stronger person.

There were a few little things I should have paid better attention to before the race, such as how my bike would feel after reassembling it out of the box. Things did feel slightly off during the race, but I was way more focused on not falling off my bike than to realize that my seat was too low and too far back and my aerobars were too far forward. My one and only 40min test ride before the race failed to inform me of these things. It has taken me a few rides since the race to dial everything back in to where I feel really comfortable. Oh well, learn for next time. Otherwise, I think my nutrition was OK, although I don't advise meal replacement drinks in hot weather. I am amazed that the Ensure didn't make me puke. Will probably suck it up next time and eat solid food, unless it's a COLD race where my drinks don't heat up.

I have been easing back into training with some easy, short rides, runs and even the occasional swim. But since I don't need to swim right now, I haven't exceeded 2k most days. Ha. I am really enjoying this fall running weather and just love going out and running for fun, and seeing all sorts of wildlife and such since I am actually paying attention now, instead of trudging along half dead from training. Case in point, the other morning I went out for my usual morning run around the Wonderland Lake trails and was treated to one of nature's wonders. Well, I actually thought I was about to witness some gruesome animal brutality as a coyote was making his way over to a herd of 6 or 7 deer grazing up in the foothills. I was yelling at the deer to get moving (in my head) and realized I might be about to see some rather graphic display of mother nature. Low and behold, as the coyote nears the deer, they start charging towards him, chasing him up the mountain. I was so proud of them for bullying him away! I guess their superiority was in their numbers. 7 against 1.

Tomorrow is Halloween, and I am looking forward to a get together with friends around town. I am still due for a blowout celebration after Kona, ha! My costume does not involve spending a dime, so I will need to raid my closet to find something to be creative with. I'll have pics!

1 comment:

KK said...

Gag, the thought of warm Ensure makes me want to hurl-I can't imagine having to drink that stuff in Kona. Way to put in a valient effort.

Did you end up going to Kevin's party? I wanted to but turned in early that night from a long week after moving and then long day spending Halloween with 29 five year olds.

BTW, we are TEMPORARILY in West Longmont...are hoping to end up back in Boulder, we'll see. Drop me a line if you want to ride sometime-I'm trying to get back into the swing of things after a long month off.