Monday, October 13, 2008

Time off and feeling nauseaous still

Going on day number two with post race soreness. I am coming to grips with the fact that I finished an IM. As they said last night at the awards dinner, which btw was rained out halfway through, it doesn't matter what time you did it in, you finished this race and that makes you an Ironman (Ironwoman). Although I had many ups and downs I stuck it out and finished, as did so many others out there. I went from terror and fear on the bike to utter despair and pain on the run (actually just the first 10mi until I left town and decided to give it another go) Then I went numb and ran the last 16mi on pure will power to get to that finish line and complete this day, no matter what my time would be. My goals for a time had gone out the window about 30mi into the ride when the crosswinds said hello. I am grateful that I didn't fall off my bike, as I was close to it a few times. I am grateful I felt good on the run for the most part, after regaining my composure, and although I had a hard time keeping up nutrition in the heat on the bike I diligently popped my salt pills which I credit with getting me through the day and not having me cramp up for the most part. Mme Pele has my utmost respect and I know she was out there giving us hell on Saturday as the temps were the hottest they had been all week and the winds were the strongest.

My legs are still broken and last night was hard to sleep as they were trembling in an effort to heal. I twitched all night long and woke up feeling no better than yesterday. I still experience bouts of nausea as I try to get food down only to feel sick after doing so. Today is a tourist day as we rented a car to go explore the island. I'll post more pics soon.

Funny thing is, although I swore off any other IM in my future as I was torturing my body throughout the day, I quickly changed my mind just a few hours after I finished and realized that this is a challenge I want to conquer. Starting off with the toughest of all will only make other IM races seem "easier" and my search has begun in finding one! I am looking at Coeur D'Alene as well as Roth, Germany! Would love to race on my home turf some day!

1 comment:

Andrew Armiger said...

Continued kudos to you -- you are far guttier than I. Your account alone is enough warning to scare me off any Ironman designs for good.