
My Ironman appetite has begun. After a long day yesterday, my calorie deficit caught up with me today and I am having trouble keeping up with my bottomless pit of a stomach. I pretty much want to consume whatever crosses my path (well not really, only things that look appealing to eat) and right now that's pretzels with peanut butter and Italian Soda. Hmmm. I developed a thing for Organic Italian Soda from Safeway, namely the Blood Orange Variety. It is absolutely delicious. Let's also not forget about the Original Fruit soda Izze! I am a Izze addict, I find myself craving Izzes on rides and runs...And, I just pulled a fresh batch of muffins out of the oven, Blueberry ones. (sadly not home-made) Surprisingly I am keeping the chocolate cravings to a minimum, but I am sure that won't last very long.
I also started consuming the unthinkable: Coffee! And not just your average gas station coffee, no I am making strong, black coffee and sometimes I even get homebrewed, which is ever so good! I see a coffeemaker in my kitchen's future... I just can't believe that I have surcome to this, I mean I used to not get people who drank coffee. I used to look at my mom and see the addiction in a cup in front of her face two, three times a day. And now I am one of them. Is this what IM training does to you? Ha. If I can keep the consumption to a minimum I'll be happy, because then I can still use it to my advantage on raceday for an extra jolt! (provided I chase with enough water to get rid of the after-effect of dry-mouth) Guess I am a true ultra-endurance athlete now.
Otherwise training is going well, body is adapting to longer days, longer rides and runs. My three day 5430 LC taper feels like I am cheating because training is cut in half and I find myself without waterbottle in hand and sweat in face on more than one occasion daily. Next week and the week thereafter will be more of a running camp as I am headed to the cool Pacific Northwest for a couple of weddings and the only sport I'll be able to do is running. After that I am down to 2 months till Race day, and an ever-rising nervous-o-meter.
On a different note, the temperatures are down to 80 degrees or less right now, prompting me to wear hoodies and sweats, and although the humidity is sky high, Sunday bodes for a below normal furnace-like race! Can't wait!
2 comments:
Instead of an American drip-coffee maker (machine) consider a French Press. We love ours (weren't coffee drinkers before it). It is a pain to clean, but worth the effort.
-A
Welcome to the dark side (of coffee drinkers, that is)! It is so yummy and delicious, I'm glad you made the leap.
Glad to hear Kona training is going well...have you tapered any for tomorrow's race?
We really lucked out with those temps tomorrow!
I love your photo, too. Where do you find this stuff?!
Good luck and I may see you at the swim start line...
Post a Comment