Sunday, July 20, 2008

Boulder Peak Triathlon/ "Fun in the Sun"


I am glad I didn't get into the NYC Triathlon when I tried to sign up last year. That race produced its fair amount of casualties today, with pros doing the IM crawl across the finish, several people taken to hospitals for heat exhaustion,jellyfish stings, and even one unfortunate death. Temps supposedly topped out in the 90s there with a high amount of humidity, which I know can make things feel like 100+ degrees, especially in the city.

Today in Boulder, we did reach the 100 degree mark, but not till after the race, at least for most of us. I must say that my only goal going into Boulder Peak was to lower my time from last year, because I knew I could, and had to! I diligently rode Old Stage at least once a week all spring, usually straight from my house, with about 4 minutes to warm up before the climbing started. It seemed to pay off, as I was passing people going uphill today.

My AG was last to go off before the pros, with an additional delay of 20 minutes, making our official starting time 7:50a.m. At that point, I had gone pee in my wetsuit at least a dozen times and my skin had started pruning. At last we were off and my only goal for the swim was to not get pummeled. I almost lost sight of that about 10m in when once again, I wasn't being aggressive enough and started getting beat up by other swimmers. I managed to find my groove and stayed out of everyone's way by swimming on the side (which I realized half-way through the swim may not be such a good idea if you are trying to race and go the shortest route possible) and had a pretty smooth ride the rest of the way. Exited water with a new Swim PR.(some say the course was short, I like to believe it was accurate! :-))

After the usual debacle with the wetsuit, and it eating my left foot, I did get free and managed to get my bike going. I felt pretty good, thirsty, but able to push it. "Wait, this course went up Old Stage, maybe I should slow down. Screw it, just go with it" And so I did. I felt pretty strong riding up the monster hill and had a brief scare on the downhill when I swore I saw the radar gun pointed at me. Luckily I was never pulled off course and was put into the results. Whew. My ride was pretty fun, as Jax and I would trade off leading. I will miss that in the next race as Jax will be racing in Europe, this made time go by much quicker! We end back up in transition together and since we parked our bikes right next to one another, now also exit transition together again. At this point, it felt more like a training day, not a race. (which is awesome, since it took pressure off, which always seems to help me perform better)


Jax yells to me to "run my ass off" and we stay together for about a minute before I take off. "6 miles, OK, I can do this." I actually feel pretty good in the lower region, and as I start my game of "pick-up" (as in picking up people on the course) I need to remind myself that I will feel shitty in time, and that I need not push it just yet. I am getting cheered left and right and it feels great. I can't see anyone, I am just focusing on aid stations as my need for cold water is increasing with every heartbeat. The sun is in full force and I can definitely tell. I arrive at the turn-around and start to feel it. There it is, that reliable feeling that wants you to quit- I can always rely on it. Thanks to some more positive vibes from fellow runners I am able to think positively, and maybe even secure myself an AG win, all the while singing along to some song that is stuck in my head. Before I know it I am left with a mile to go, and although I can barely see out of my sweat encrusted glasses and have all kinds of messes hanging from my face, I try to give it a push to look "strong", coming down the home stretch. It works, people are yelling at me that I am fast, I am so fast! lol. Finally, relief. I reach the finish and collapse. It's very hot. I have just PR'd in all three disciplines over last year's performance. I also got the AG win and later even discovered to have placed 2nd amateur female overall to Superstar Brooke, as well as 8th female including the pros. Not a bad day. And best of all, I tolerated the heat OK, which makes me happy, because I have been torturing myself training in it the past few weeks, and it seems to be working. I am thoroughly hydrated as well- go me! Just the eating part needs some help... no food at all during race. However, I never felt a need and I was fine. Will def. need to work on that, 4th discipline!


After a warm dip in the rez post race I headed over to watch the very impressive men's and women's pro races, and felt their pain every step of that horrid hot 10k run. This course is hard, and even harder in the heat. Nice job to everyone I know that raced, you are warriors!



Now the real fun starts- Kona training!

3 comments:

KK said...

Congrats! Wowzah, second place amateur? That is incredible.

I didn't eat anything during the race either. Too hot. Too effin hot. But that ice they were handing out at aid stations was divine.

Amy said...

Uli- I'm KK's sister, Amy. I raced yesterday too and wanted to congratulate you. I saw you a couple times on the course and you were smokin'. Once on the top of Olde Stage and once on the run - you were around mile 4 and I was at 2. Anyway, I just wanted to say congrats....

Also - I think it is awesome that you and Jax have such a great friendship despite being competitors. It's awesome that she yelled "run your add off" and didn't make you feel bad for leaving her behind. I know this is a competition but it can become hairy w/ friends. I'm glad you guys understand that and help each other.

Way to go! You did great. Maybe I'll see you at a Stroke & Stride some time.

KK said...

Hey, yo! I am back to stalk :) Kidding. Just wanted to say "thanks" for your awesome comments-you are totally right. We worked out butts off and a podium finish is a podium finish so who cares about the rest. Thank you for helping me to see that.

Also, thanks for adding me to your list, I feel honored. AND how awesome is it that you have a countdown to Kona ticker on your site?! You rule!

Maybe I'll see you next Thursday at the S & S, won't be there tomorrow.

Happy training-how's this hot weather for ya??? gag.