Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Season Opener- Oceanside 70.3

Last weekend marked the first time of me racing in California. I have always wanted to race Oceanside 70.3, and this year it fit well into my schedule so I decided to throw myself in the ring and race one of the strongest 70.3 fields ever. Plus, I'd have the chance to meet some of my new sponsors as well.

Pre- riding the course. Love this bike.
My prep leading into Oceanside was good, as good as you can get with riding the trainer and doing brick runs in the snow. My swims were coming along, my bike fitness was good for this time of year, I felt that I had a good run base with good mileage and some speed sprinkled in over the winter months. Trying to stay realistic with my first half since last August and first race of the year, I just wanted to get a good starting point to my fitness and most importantly, get a race under my belt before St. George 70.3 in May. I had missed a few training weekends due to family trips, but that's life, and I wasn't going to stress about that.

Women Pros lining up at the start
Brandon and I arrived late Thursday night in Oceanside and were greeted by our wonderful home stay family. The next day was spent doing some short pre race efforts, driving the bike course and checking out the water, and the usual pro meeting. (I have never seen a room this packed, had to be close to 100 pros.) I tried my best to stay hydrated and fueled but the day was so jam packed, it was easy to forget those important little details. After a good filling dinner prepared by our home stay, we were off to bed.

This race would also give me the chance to test out all my new equipment, and I mean almost everything. I received my BMC TM01 on Tuesday and took it for 2 rides pre race (luckily, this bike fits me like a glove!), along with my new HED race wheels, wore my new Zoot wetsuit only once in the pool, had a new kit and new shoes to run in. I tried not to think about this, as it could have been a little overwhelming!


The gun went off and I got pummeled at the start of the swim, but was able to find a smooth spot and get going in a good rhythm right away. It was one of the more enjoyable swims I have had in awhile, thanks in big part to a comfortable fitting wetsuit that allowed my chest to expand to get enough air in. I  didn't realize how much of a difference a good fitting wetsuit can make until I started swimming in Zoot. Besides getting a few grabs on my feet ( I was pulling a small train), the swim was pretty uneventful and I was happy to exit the water to the screams of spectators and athletes alike.

Onto the bike I knew from driving the course the day prior that this leg was anything but flat. I settled in to a good position right away and chipped away, trying to control my effort, yet trying to bridge the gaps to the girls up ahead. I passed a few of them early on but most of the ride was spent riding solo. The back stretch of the course on Camp Pendleton proved to be pretty tough- headwinds and hills, with a few pretty significant climbs that had me wishing for an extra gear. I had a hard time taking nutrition as I just wasn't feeling "hungry" at all. My hydration was good, a sip every few minutes, but I certainly should have known to force myself to eat more, as all I got down were two powergels the entire ride. Back to T2 proved to be a series of twisty turns and sharp corners, but I made it back in one piece, taking note of the sun that was now out in full force.
Great shot, thanks Shay Johnson/ TriLounge. 
Since the transition racks weren't marked for this race, I had a tricky time trying to find a spot to rack my bike near my transition bag. After squeezing in and slipping on my Zoot Ultra TT's, I set out for the 13.1mi run, the part of the race that should be my forte, my chance to catch people. Just like getting into T2, exiting T2 was a series of twisty turns to get into the flow of traffic on the relatively narrow run course. I fell in right behind the leading men as they were finishing up their first lap. The run course was much more challenging than advertised I thought, or maybe it was just my perceived effort in a depleted state. As I got going, I immediately felt off. I was getting pretty hot and used every aid station to ingest as many fluids as possible. I got a glimpse of the women ahead and they looked good. Nobody seemed to be slowing and no one looked like they were struggling with the temps.
Feeling the heat

I finished my first lap not knowing any splits since I saw no mile markers on course. Brandon told me I looked great, if only he knew how I felt, ha. I was getting some goose bumps at this point and felt like pulling over, rather than trotting on. Engine fail. It took a lot of inner self talk to get that run done, and I managed to get passed by two other women less than a mile to go- I simply had nothing. My thoughts from certain goals quickly turned to survival and crossing the line. I finished 19th, not a place I am particularly proud of, but under the circumstances I can't complain. I wanted a chance to test myself early season, and I got to do that against some of the best in the sport. I know what I need to do before my next big race, the US Pro Champs at St. George next month. It's a race I can't wait for; it holds a special place in my heart. Until then I hope to get some good weather in Boulder to take the TM01 on some journeys up in the mountains. The bare trees and brown grass around here remind me that it's still early and that the year ahead is long. The next four weeks will be head down and nose to the grind stone, as I prepare for St. George.

Big thanks to my better half for coming along on this trip, our home stay family who went out of their way to show us around and make us feel comfortable,  BMC for getting me on a TM01 for my first race; I can't wait to unleash on this bike this season. Thanks to HED wheels for allowing me to go even faster, next up, start riding that disc! Thanks to ZOOT for outfitting me in some hot and functional gear, Rudy Project for the head and eye protection, and Powerbar for my training and race nutrition. Special Thanks to Candice at XLAB for having some bottle cages ready for me to put on the new bike. And to all those cheering for me near and far, thanks! I appreciate it so much. Here's to great things to come this season, thanks for the test drive, Oceanside!
San Diego Skyline post race



1 comment:

Hunter Robinson said...

Considering the weather we've had in Boulder lately and the massive field you were facing there, that is quite a race. Way to keep fighting until the end. You'll reap the rewards soon!