Monday, August 13, 2012

Ironman 70.3 Boulder Recap

Boulder Res race morning
This year marked the 6th time of me racing this event in my own backyard since starting triathlon in 2006 (minus one year due to illness) and the 3rd time as a pro. Going into the race, I knew I had my work cut out for me if I wanted to be in the money (top 6 got paid) as this was the most competitive pro field ever for this race. World champions, Ironman Champions- you name it. With just two weeks out from one of my 'A' races this season, I simply just wanted to put in a good effort and see where my fitness was at. Racing at altitude is always different from racing at sea level, especially on the swim and run.

Having trained the entire summer in temperatures at 90 or above, race day was rather cool, at least to start with. With a wetsuit- legal swim, I found myself in a pack right from the beginning, which was a welcome change to my usual solo swims. However, our little pack was highly disorganized and hands were constantly grabbing and slapping. I tried to stay to the outside of the pack, but had a hard time shaking anyone off. It was probably the most aggressive pro swim I've ever experienced, and I felt like I was 'boxed in' (like on the track) a few times and ended up swimming an easier pace than I usually do. I made it out of the water slightly faster than last year and was right with 5 other women into T1. (But sadly last out of transition in 15th place or so.)

The bike leg at Boulder 70.3 was something I looked forward to because it would be the most non technical bike I have raced all season. With long straights, minimal turns, generally good road surfaces and no rain, it's cut out to be a fast course. In the back of my mind, I had the goal of breaking 2:20 over the 56mi distance (my PR being 2:22 on this course) but with a lot of the road having been chip sealed in the past year, I wasn't sure if that would affect race times. Regardless, I put on a surge right out of T1, and distanced myself from the other women I had come out of the water with. By the time I reached the 5mi marker and the first downhill on the course, I was alone, with only the aid stations and occasional spectators cheering. At the end of the first of 2 laps, I had made a few more passes and moved myself into a decent spot for the run. Lap 2 got busy with age group athletes on their first lap and pros passing, while cars were going by. I had to slow my pace a few times to avoid hitting a car from behind as they too slowed down for bike traffic weaving out of the bike lane. When I finally took a look at my bike computer, I saw that I was within reach of my goal time, so once on the Diagonal Hwy, I put my head down and went for broke into T2 with just a few miles to go. I ended up riding an almost 4-min PR, starting the run in 7th place.


Top 6 minus Leanda in third.
Even though the morning had been cool, things were heating up just in time for the run, as the sun moved into its prime location, giving little to no shade on the 2 loop course. I got some updates from Brandon every few miles of how far ahead other women were, and that I was well within reach to catch them. At the run turn-around of the out and back by Monarch Rd., I saw both Whitney and Mandy up ahead, but with 9 more miles to go, I didn't want to think about making a pass just yet, as I wasn't feeling great at all. I wondered if I had biked too hard for my own good, as I started to feel the fatigue in my legs and lungs. Thankfully, taking it gingerly on the first loop allowed me to hydrate and get fluids in and on me, which helped me feel better on loop 2. By mi 9 I had run myself up to 6th place and had 5th within sight. Brandon told me to go for it and I made my move on the downhill by Coot Lake, right after some inspiration from the Boulder Coaching aid station. I whispered ' good job' to Whitney and  pressed on, unsure of whether she would respond and stay with me. The last two miles seemed to take forever, I was hot and running on fumes. Finally I reached the last downhill into the finish, where Brandon proceeded to tell me to 'hurry up', and in my deranged state of mind, I tried to pick it up one last time- no one was going to beat me in the last 200m! Turns out I had plenty of time, so not sure why B told me to sprint, but it was good practice, should it ever come down to a sprint finish :)

Whitney and I obviously in deep conversation :)
I was happy with how my day turned out, having achieved my goal on the bike, riding my fastest ever bike split, and posting a top 5 finish. The ladies I shared the podium with are no joke, so it felt really good to be in such fast company! Many thanks to all who were out cheering, volunteering and generally just making this race as cool as it is. Nothing like racing at home! Thank you also to Powerbar, Rocktape, TriggerPoint, and Rudy Project!

And finally, I can't believe it's here, race week for Ironman Mont Tremblant. I cannot wait to race there later this week, after having made it a prime focus for most of this season. Laissez les bons temps rouler a Quebec!

No comments: