Friday, August 12, 2011

Kona-Bound (At Last)

Today I received an e-mail formally inviting me to race in the Women's pro race at the Ironman World Championships this year. This is a pretty big deal to me because:

a) the qualifying system got extremely tough this year with only about 30 women being allowed to race at Kona, having to accumulate points throughout the year to be considered one of the top 25 (July qualifiers) and 5 August qualifiers.

b) After my disappointing race in Germany I had no idea what would happen to my dream of racing Kona after having come pretty close- I got bumped out of the top 25 and out of the July qualifiers. Luckily for me, someone declined their slot, passing it down to next in line, who also declined, making me very, very happy :) I will not need to accumulate more points in trying to be one of the top 5 August qualifiers and will be spending most of the next 8 weeks preparing for the Big Show :)

c) Whether we admit it or not, to race the Ironman World Champs is a pretty cool thing, something almost every long distance triathlete dreams of doing, at least once. I raced Kona as an amateur 3 years ago for my first IM and like to think I have learned a lot since then and can't wait to give it another go.

d) Like every other pro out there trying to grab one of the top 30 spots, it has been race-packed year with ups and downs and highs and lows. I have had the pleasure of racing alot of these women over the past few months and Kona will be the ultimate icing on the cake for all of us.

e) I'm going to Kona! Aloha :)


4 comments:

Katie said...

CONGRATS!! That's wonderful that you received an invitation! Best wishes and may the next 8 weeks go amazing for you as you train and prepare!

Keith said...

That is super! I'll be cheering you on. Not sure why the allow fewer female pro's than male.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Uli! That rocks! you will shine in Kona!

Christi said...

That is great news Uli! Congrats to you my dear! Probst!