Yes, I am counting. It is getting close to Christmas (or so it seems with all the snow we've been getting) and my body wants to hibernate, so waking up tomorrow and starting "race week countdown" will add some excitement to what has been a loooong season of training. My reward comes next Sunday in the form of a 2.4mi swim, a 112mi bike ride and a 26.2mi run. While I have the usual pre- race anxieties such as "have I really done enough long rides/ runs?, does 4 hrs on the trainer really count as 5 1/2 to 6 outside?, will my body remember how to go long after this taper?, am I ready to race in warmer temps while training in the 30s?, am I tapering too little/too much? " etc, I can't wait to start this race next Sunday, along with 65 (!) other pros and who knows how many age groupers. I am excited to give this distance another shot, to go back and prove that I can conquer the distance and actually try to race a little this time around instead of just hanging on by a thread while doing the death march shuffle. I know what to expect this time around, and I have completed the toughest race to back me up.
Having talked to people who have done both (Kona and AZ) gives me confidence that this time will be just a bit easier. However, fact is, it's still an Ironman and the pain will inevitably show up at some point. I'm excited to go back to AZ for a third time this year, my two previous races there were pretty successful, and they say third time's a charm, right? With friends racing as well, and family support on the sidelines, it's bound to be a good time. Not to mention I get to race on one of the most beautifully crafted, rocket ship-like bikes:

I'm actually REALLY excited to show this one off in my transition space :-). So, a few more days of R&R and then it's off to sunny Tempe. I am racer #62 and as always, there will be coverage online at ironman.com as well as on universalsports.com with all day live coverage (I believe).
1 comment:
Good Luck!
Post a Comment