
B and I decided to run the 10k at the Boulder Distance Carnival yesterday morning at the Rez. Options were either 10k or 5k, compared to last year when they were 15k or 5mi. For some reason the race doesn't get a whole lot of press so participant numbers aren't terribly high. After last week's effort I was in recovery mode all week leading up to the race. I took it pretty easy as to get a little snap back in the legs. By Saturday my legs were finally coming around and I decided to sign up for the 10k the following day.
I have run the course out by the Rez numerous times so that I didn't need to worry about getting lost or missing a turn. (ha) With Saturday being mostly rained out, we awoke to some pretty blue skies sunday morning, perfect for a race! The temps were brisk in the 40s when we started, but it quickly warmed up and I actually ran in just shorts and a short sleeve shirt. There was some prize money up for grabs for the winner of both the 5k and the 10k, men and women, so I made it my goal to try and repeat last year's win in the 15k. We all went off together, making for some interesting tempo the first mile. I came through in 5.40, which was the last time I would look at my watch for this race. I was running 5k pace with whoever was doing the 5k it seemed, so I slowed down a tad after that. I got some help with the slowdown from mother Nature as she decided to bless us with some gusty headwinds for much of the remaining miles. At the turnaround I saw that I was in the lead by over a minute, but never one to take a chance to bask in my glory too soon, I pushed on, as anything could happen in the remaining 3 miles home. Darren De Reuck, who was the lead "vehicle" for the women, led me home on the bike, and I made sure to stay as far to the left as possible as to not get cited for drafting.. Uhhh, never mind, this is running, and Darren actually told me to get behind him and cut the shortest line. Ha, OK. In the end I held off second place by about a minute and a half, finishing slightly slower than what I had hoped for or felt effort-wise. I blamed it on still feeling tired and the wind, but it appears now that the course might have probably been a bit long, by oh, around 30-40 seconds. Oh, and B made me look at his backside the entire race, he finished super strong in just over 38 min. For 6 months of running under his belt, I'd say that's pretty damn good! Hopefully he'll give an account of the race himself! I also ran into some folks I hadn't seen since the end of last tri season, so it was good to catch up for a bit as well.
By the time most people finished, the water in the rez had white caps on it and things were blowing everywhere. By afternoon it was cold and rainy and when I woke up this morning we had 3 inches of snow on the ground. That's Colorado weather for ya; of course it's all gone by now. Either way, I am more than ready for summer. I want to put away my hats and gloves and tights for good! It's almost May!
2 comments:
I want to put my hats and gloves and tights away too!!! What is with this weather. Come on Spring.
Congrats on the race, you did awesome!
PS- my pet peeve is when courses are measured incorrectly!
Congrats, Uli! Way to repeat your win. And I rode later in the day it was NOT fun so I can only imagine how it must have been running. I am so ready for no more wind. I can deal with anything but the wind drives me batty.
P.S. You are invited over here anytime-I just haven't been home that much to enjoy it :(. But seriously, we have lots of chocolate and if this weather keeps up, we'll need to plan a trainer ride.
Post a Comment