Tuesday, December 30, 2008

This has got to stop already!!! >:-(


OK, after about a week of winds now I am starting to think that this might actually impair my marathon preparations. Last night was probably the "windiest" night so far this year (with only two days remaining, tight squeeze, ha) as we had gusts over 80mph and wind ripping apart my screen doors and windows. I was awake most of the night, pretending to be sailing in a ship (thanks to B's imagination) with the shinook (cute word, huh) winds hitting my house being the waves hitting the boat... I actually felt my bed sway back and forth at times, no joke. It was supposed to let up this morning I thought, but my run about an hour ago was the most pathetic thing ever. Not only did I have no oomph, the gusts would literally stop me in my tracks, and it took at least twice as much energy to move forward. The top gust at 10.30 A.M. was 73mph or something. Nice. Branches and parts of trees were strewn all over roads and trails, trash was scattered everywhere, and some construction site lost a good ton of styrofoam, as it decorated most of my neighborhood this morning. Big cleanup is on the way...

I am trying to find some info on the benefits of running in such a crazy circumstance; there has got to be something good about it. I am spent like I did a track workout after these runs and my hamstrings take days to recover, because apparently my knee lift goes beserk when I go into these headwinds. This must be the winter of wind, instead of snow. I am not sure which I prefer more...

2 comments:

Leah said...

The wind has been crazy here in PA too! Stuff blowing all over the place. I wish it would calm down already!

Andrew Armiger said...

The weather sort of dictates taking it easy during the time of year when it is best to not worry so much about pace? I think I prefer cold to wind since it is easier to mitigate the former simply by dressing appropriately. I like Twain's saying: "We talk a lot about the weather, but we don’t seem to do anything about it."

Is there a brand and/or product name for the spiked straps you put on your shoes?